Ronks, Pennsylvania, United States
POSITION PURPOSE: The Storyteller is the central character in the company’s Night Before Christmas Train and other similar guest experiences. As such, the Storyteller is directly responsible for portraying an authentic character through the delivery and retelling of a classic story, all the while ensuring a positive experience for guests through themed re-enactment.
The Storyteller is required to:
- Convincingly portray a character as prescribed for the Event.
- Act as a car host, enthusiastically and respectfully welcoming passengers aboard his/her railcar.
- Interact and entertain guests before departure and throughout the ride.
- Present the memorized story with authenticity, animation, and clarity for the entire audience in the railcar.
- Serve beverages and snacks to guests in conjunction with the Event.
- Maintain a clean railcar and attend to the trash as needed.
- Neat, clean, and authentic appearance subscribing to the dress code prescribed by the Event, paying close attention historic details.
- Courteous and kind relations with guests, including the ability to solve problems and meet the immediate needs of customers.
- Demonstrated ability to engage and entertain guests for the duration of the guest experience.
- Consistent eagerness to serve the guests with a joyful and positive attitude.
- High guest satisfaction.
- Positive and effective relations with co-workers.
- Timely work attendance and adherence to the worker replacement policy.
- Ability to positively interact with people – guests and co-workers alike.
- Enthusiasm providing exemplary guest service.
- Capacity to clearly project his/her voice, articulating a memorized story.
- Ability to dramatically assume the role of a storyteller, becoming a character central to the guest experience.
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to unexpected circumstances.
- Competency working with a simple Public Address system.
- Willingness to accept feedback and strive toward maximum guest satisfaction.
- Training for this position will be on-the-job.
- Length of shift varies but is generally from 2 to 4 hours based on SRC’s hours of operation.
- Work is primarily within the confines of one (1) railcar, though some time will be spent out of doors. The railcar is one of several on a moving train.
- No specific meal break is provided. A restroom is available on the train if needed.
- Smoking is not permitted while you are in the public domain area of the railroad.
- Must be able to work well under pressure.
- If a situation arises where help is needed, a 2-way radio is provided so that the proper individuals can be summoned to render assistance.
Position is seasonal, with opportunities on select evenings in December. Storytellers are paid $50.00 per train.
How to ApplyInterested applicants may download an application (https://www.strasburgrailroad.com/dig-deeper/employment/) and submit the completed form to email@example.com for consideration. Applicants may be required to interview and audition for the role.