Spencer, New York, United States
Bible Baptist Church of North Spencer
(North Spencer Baptist Church)
721 Ithaca Road, Spencer, NY 14883
POSITION: Seeking a full-time Baptist Pastor for a small congregation with a Christian school in a rural setting in central New York State.
DESCRIPTION: The Pastor will be a godly man who provides spiritual direction, oversight, and leadership to the church leaders, congregation, and the school. He is to preach, teach, disciple, evangelize, lead in the ordinances of communion, baptism, and marriage, and counsel those in need. He is to be the champion of the church’s mission statement, vision, and core values, including those of the school. The Pastor is an equal member of the Elder Board and provides advice and leadership to that Board, the Board of Deacons and Trustees, and the School Board, subject to the final authority vested in the church congregation.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific responsibilities of the Pastor are as follows:
The Pastor is to teach the Sunday morning adult Sunday School, or develop others who can. He is to lead and preach in the Sunday morning service, and teach in the Sunday night House Church services (generally three times per month). He is to lead the Wednesday night prayer meeting. He will conduct up to three chapel services per week for the NSCA children during the school year.
The Pastor works with the Worship Leader in preparing appropriate worship services. These services should be well-prepared, God honoring services, in a form that is most suitable to our congregation. The Pastor is to regularly lead in monthly Communion. He is to lead in preparing people for baptisms and the conduct of such services. He must be available and willing to perform visitations, pre-marital counseling, weddings, and conduct funerals as needed. He must provide short-term counseling as needed, including crisis counseling and pastoral care.
The Pastor must supervise the administration of the church, including the school in accordance with the church Constitution and Bylaws. This involves office operations, staff, and buildings and grounds. In office management, he will ensure that required financial reports, tax filings, payments, etc. are done in a timely fashion. This does not imply that the pastor must do these things personally (although he may), but that he will oversee and delegate them as appropriate.
The Pastor sits on the Elder Board, the Deacon and Trustee Board, and School Board. He does not direct the school on a daily basis, but supports the Administrator, and serves as a facilitator to provide resources enabling the Administrator to lead the school. The Pastor will actively participate in fundraising efforts and serve as a public face of the school.
The Pastor must participate in community faith events, coordinating with area pastors for joint endeavors such as community summer worship, Thanksgiving, participation in community Lenten services as well as community outreach. The Pastor must not violate his convictions in such areas.
The position requires great flexibility in time schedule, including evenings and weekends. The Pastor must take at least one day a week off, and possibly two, depending on the needs of the congregation. He is to have up to four weeks paid vacation per year.
How to ApplyWhat We Are Looking For—Pastor Qualifications: We are looking for a pastor who displays the following qualifications— SPIRITUAL:
- Love Jesus and people.
- Spiritually mature, godly man, demonstrating the character in I Tim 3:1-7 and Titus 1:6-9.
- Can fully subscribe to and endorse the Church’s Statement of Faith, especially the inerrancy of the Scriptures as originally written.
- Established prayer life built on daily Bible study.
- Possesses spiritual gifts in pastor-teacher (Rom 12:7; Eph 4:11), leadership (Rom 12:8), evangelism (Eph 4:11), exhortation (Rom 12:8), service (Rom 12:7), and administration (1 Cor 12:28).
- Possess a sense of vision for God’s people; able to articulate a philosophy of ministry.
- Ordained by a like-minded Baptist church or willing to pursue ordination.
- Demonstrated ability to lead someone to Christ.
- Conservative, fundamental theology; yet not KJV only.
- Able to provide a comprehensive doctrinal statement.
- Commitment to Christian education; ACSI certification a definite plus.
- Manages church and home decently and in good order.
- Displays wisdom and understanding; able to counsel others from the Bible.
- Clear communicator, able to relay and apply God’s truth to life.
- Able to sing and/or play an instrument is a plus.
- Heart for people; loving and friendly to all, especially children.
- If married, having a spiritually mature, believing wife, whose top priority is to love God, then respect her husband, and care for her family. Believing, school-age children a plus.
- Compassionate, humble, accepts correction gracefully; a man of integrity, including in financial matters.
- Able to be an example of Christ-likeness to all.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work with a team, perhaps leading short-term missions.
- Five years pastoral experience preferred.
- Experience with children is a plus.
- Experience with QuickBooks or some knowledge of accounting is a plus.
- MDiv or equivalent preferred; willing to pursue Master’s if not possessing one.
- Bachelor’s degree required (Bible College degree strongly preferred).