Director of Music
Willow Street, Pennsylvania, United States
POSITION DESCRIPTION – DIRECTOR OF MUSIC
The Director of Music develops, coordinates, and implements a diverse music ministry to support worship in the church.
Practical experience is preferred. A Bachelor’s Degree in a music-related field is a plus.
Desire and willingness to work for Christ in the church music program
Ability to work with people in a church setting.
Ability to lead choir and congregation in singing.
Ability to teach and direct a medium-sized choir in multi-part singing.
Directly responsible to the pastor, working closely with the Chair of the Council of Music/Worship.
- Select all choir and solo music (excluding hymns and organ/voluntaries) taking into consideration the Church Year, focus theme of worship, traditions of participants, etc.
- Select and schedule instrumental music throughout the church year.
- Direct the Chancel Choir during the choir year (second week of September through the Sunday following Memorial Day).
- Serve as chorister for Sunday worship, and other special worship services as requested (for example: Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday).
- Keyboard accompaniment preferred.
- Attend workshops and seminars pertaining to church music as provided by the budget.
- Recruit participants for the music program.
- Foster fellowship among participants in the music program.
- Provide leadership for an active handbell choir (self or laity) as the need arises.
- Provide leadership for a children’s choir (self or laity) as the need arises.
- Maintain a “team player” attitude.
- Attend church staff meetings when possible.
- Attend worship planning meetings as an ex-officio member.
- Meet with the pastor and staff to integrate music into the ministry of the church.
- Develop connections with the congregation.
- Manage/supervise any paid or volunteer staff related to the music program.
- Establish a rehearsal schedule for all choirs/groups.
- Develop and propose an annual budget for the music program.
- Arrange for the purchase of music within the limitations of the budget.
- Maintain the music library.
- Notify the administrative assistant in a timely manner with
- music selections for the bulletin
- announcements for the bulletin
- articles for the newsletter.
- Ensure that all church instruments receive regular care, working with the Property Committee and the administrative assistant.
- Schedule emergency visits to repair the organ and/or pianos through the administrative assistant.
- Schedule substitute organists/pianists to accommodate organist vacation time.
- Arrange for choir robe cleaning as the need arises.
How to ApplyEmail resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org