Assistant Pastor for Student and Family Outreach
Park Road Presbyterian Church is in an extremely unique season of ministry.
Founded in 1814 as First Presbyterian Church of Reading, we’re preparing for a brand
new season of activity as we move into a new building in a more suburban area of the
region. Our move brings an opportunity to engage young families and students with the
gospel of Jesus Christ, and we are eager to see our church family revitalized through this
The Assistant Pastor for Student and Family Outreach is charged with providing
leadership in ministry to Middle School and High School students directly, and their
families by extension, further developing Park Road’s reach into the community.
The right candidate will have at least a bachelor’s degree in Christian ministry or
other related field, and is preferably seminary trained; previous experience is also
preferred. The position requires strong organizational, communication, and relational
The Assistant Pastor will work closely with the Senior Pastor, developing and
implementing a unified vision for outreach and ministry to students and their families.
Other duties may be included in the job description as gifting and capacity allow, such
as preaching, counseling, and specific ministry oversight, including missions,
discipleship, and outreach.
Detailed Job Description:
Cultivate Personal Relationships with Students and Parents
– Spend time each week with students outside of weekly programming
– Regularly attend school lunches and school events
– Be proactive in discipling key students
– Share in equipping parents to disciple their students
– Build relationships with adult leaders
– Train and equip adult leaders
Create Consistent Strategic Programming
– Plan and implement a variety of regular outreach initiatives designed to initiate
contact with unchurched students and their families
– Plan and implement a variety of regular discipleship initiatives designed to help
unchurched and churched students grow in their relationship with Christ
– Plan and implement large events, retreats, and mission trips
Contribute to church-wide outreach events
– Give insight and input into how church-wide events may be structured to engage
students and their families
– Help execute church-events
– Do effective follow-up with students and their families after church-wide events
The right candidate must be a fit for this position in four key areas:
– Character. The right candidate will know and love Jesus, and will be
committed to growing in Christlikeness. The right candidate will be
committed to physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual health, and
will exhibit the characteristics of spiritual leadership as found in 1
Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 2:1-13.
– Competency. The right candidate will have a proven track record of
faithfulness to a local church, and have some degree of relevant ministry
experience. The right candidate will have at least have a bachelor’s degree
in Christian ministry or other related field, and is preferably seminary
trained. The right candidate will be internally motivated and will pursue
excellence in all facets of the job.
– Chemistry. The right candidate will display the ability to work well with
the existing staff, as well as existing volunteers. The right candidate will
also display relational intelligence, showing they can interact with students
and adults alike.
– Culture. The right candidate will understand and agree with both the
philosophical and theological identity of Park Road, including our
commitment to Reformed theology, the centrality of God’s grace in
salvation and sanctification, and our desire to help all people worship
fully, learn humbly, and love extravagantly.
This position is for an Assistant Pastor of Student and Family Outreach, meaning the
candidate is accountable to the Session and to the Senior Pastor as Head of Staff.
How to ApplyPlease submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.