New Holland, Pennsylvania, United States
Salem Bible Church
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Senior Pastor Job Description Overview
Major areas of responsibility:
- Preaching/Teaching – In this role, the pastor functions as the primary preacher/teacher, and may take on additional teaching as he deems advisable for the instruction of members of the congregation, and as his schedule permits. (Sunday school, small groups, seminars, Men’s Ministry, etc.)
- Shepherding – This includes ministries such as counseling, visitation, guarding against doctrinal error, and encouraging the flock to be in unity with one another.
- Overall Leadership – The pastor meets regularly with the deacons, board members and program leaders to faithfully implement the overall vision for the church. He is considered to be an ex officio member of any committees or programs within the church, and may choose to attend any scheduled meetings as he wishes.
- Overseeing church leadership positions – In this role the pastor acts as the team leader and manager to provide guidance to the following: Deacons, Music Leader, Education Director, Sunday school teachers, and missions and financial board leaders.
- Other – This includes representing Salem Bible Church at any venues that he and/or the church board agree would be beneficial. Examples are: local non-denominational meetings, local pastor gatherings, attending community events as leader of the church, etc.
Salem Bible Church
New Holland, Pennsylvania
Senior Pastor Job Description
To provide spiritual leadership and oversight for the congregation, staff, and lay leaders, through pulpit ministry, mentoring, and pastoral care.
The pastor will be a man of mature Christian character whose life reflects the characteristics of 1st Timothy 3 and Titus 1. The pastor will also be a man of prayer and be in agreement with the doctrinal statement of Salem Bible Church.
- To the Deacons and Church Board:
- The pastor shall be accountable to the Church Board and Deacons for his personal relationship and responsibilities with the church.
- The pastor will serve as a member of the Church Board.
- The pastor shall function in agreement with the constitution of Salem Bible Church.
- The Church Board may assign additional responsibilities than those listed, remove responsibilities, or make desired changes in duties after prayer and consultation with the pastor and as agreed to by the congregation.
- The Senior Pastor shall be expected to give quarterly reports to the Church Board at their meetings and to the congregation at the annual business meeting.
- To established Programs/Committees:
- The Pastor is welcome to attend any meetings of any of the various programs/committees as an ex officio member but is not required to attend.
- To the staff:
- The Pastor, in association with the Deacons, shall be the spiritual and administrative supervisor of the church staff.
- To subordinate Pastors/Leaders:
- The Pastor shall be their spiritual and administrative supervisor and seek to work together in harmony at all times in sharing the responsibilities for the ministries of the church. Together they shall seek to meet on a regular basis for prayer, evaluation, coordination of activities and planning.
- To the Church Members/Congregation:
- The Pastor shall set the example in establishing a strong Christian relationship with-in the Church family, and shall lead them in participating in the full program of the church.
- Worship Services:
- The primary responsibility of the Senior Pastor is to oversee the all aspects of the worship services including Communion, Baptism, and the worship music.
- Church Board and Congregational Meetings:
- He shall participate in all Church Board Congregational meetings.
- Preaching and Teaching:
- The Pastor’s preaching and teaching shall instruct the congregation in sound doctrine and promote the corporate worship of God. He shall endeavor to build a strong foundation of scriptural truth that is: exegetical, systematic, and dispensational in scope. It shall reflect the unity of the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, and bring glory to the person of Jesus Christ. The purpose of the teaching will be to promote spiritual growth and maturity, and to establish the members of the congregation.
- In cases of anticipated absence he shall work with the Church Board regarding substitute preaching.
- He shall teach elective courses as he may deem advisable for the instruction of the congregation, and as his schedule permits, and the need arises.
- The Pastor shall shepherd the believers at Salem Bible Church by spiritually leading, feeding, protecting, and guiding the congregation. .He shall devote himself in accordance with his spiritual gifts to expanding the vision and distinctive ministry that God has given him and the church.
- The Pastor shall promote godly living within the congregation by addressing the practice of personal holiness, the fellowship of the saints, the strengthening of the Christian family, and the Scriptural basis for church supported mission outreaches. He shall also address any situations within the church where the conduct of a member or members is contrary to Scripture, and is affecting the spiritual life and health of the He shall seek the counsel of the Church Board in matters that cannot be addressed in a one to one basis.
- The pastor will provide relationship counseling as needed. The pastor should not counsel someone of the opposite sex in a one-to-one situation. Referral to an outside counselor may be appropriate.
- The Pastor shall lead by example and encourage members to reach out to those in need in their community, to visitors, and to new church members.
- The Pastor shall encourage participation in evangelistic outreach and missions in both the local community and beyond.
- Christian Education:
- The Pastor in association with the Church Board shall provide oversight to the entire Salem Bible Church Christian Education Program, including staff and related committees.
- The Pastor, in association with the Deacons and Church Board shall direct the activity of the pastoral/leadership staff, and other non-ministerial staff.
- The Pastor shall be supportive of other like-minded and scripturally-based ministries. He shall fulfill related assignments and responsibilities in accordance with directives from the Church Board and in accordance with Salem Bible Church’s doctrinal statement.
- He shall be responsible for upholding the public image of Salem Bible Church in the community.
- The Pastor is expected to maintain a Biblically moral lifestyle.
- He shall seek professional and spiritual growth through a personal study program, mentoring program, and Biblical conferences or academic endeavors, with sponsorship as determined by the Church Board.
- He may accept opportunities to minister outside Salem Bible Church as they complement his role in the pastorate.
- The actual hours spent in fulfillment of his duties may vary with the responsibilities of each day. He is expected to use discretion in the stewardship of his time in order to give adequate attention to study and other duties, while allowing a balance of time for rest, relaxation, and family time.
- Vacation time is to be determined in conjunction with the church board. Requests for extended time away from the job should be submitted ahead of time in writing to the Church Board. This will ensure that there is adequate coverage for the pulpit during any absences.
How to ApplySalem Bible Church Senior Pastor Opening (Revised 7/31/2017) POSITION DESCRIPTION: We are seeking a Senior Pastor who loves and serves Jesus Christ who will follow God’s leading for future vision and growth, and who is passionate about God’s Word and its application to our everyday lives. The Senior Pastor should possess the spiritual gift of Pastor/Teacher, and use teaching and exhortation to encourage the spiritual growth of the congregation. We also desire a Senior Pastor whose life reflects the characterization of 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 and who leads by example. The Senior Pastor will be a member of the church board, will provide spiritual leadership to the church, and will serve primarily as the preacher, teacher, and shepherd. The Senior Pastor is responsible to: preach/teach from God’s Word; equip the congregation for ministry; lead the congregation in outreach to the community; work with the church deacons and board to develop future plans; assist the members in caring for the needs of the church; and to work with the congregation to cultivate individual spiritual gifts and growth. Pastoral duties will include preparing and delivering weekly expository teaching from the Scriptures; providing oversight for prayer/small group meetings; visiting congregational members to provide encouragement; and conducting communion, baptisms, marriages, and funerals. To apply for this position we ask that the following information be submitted in PDF format to the search committee:
- Current Resume
- Doctrinal Statement of Beliefs
- An Explanation of your beliefs in alignment with 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1
- A minimum of three references